CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday 7 December 2009

COMPARING LANGUAGE USED IN MUSIC MAGAZINES

In NME, the writers use a jokey, laid back style of writing that uses various literary techniques like puns, alliteration and humour to make the readers feel relaxed while reading the articles and features, however I think that at times, this comical style can be seen as tacky and when reading it myself I felt that the magazine should be taking me, the reader, and their artists more seriously as I expect their target audience to be around my age (16).
Black Beat is a magazine that whilst focusing on the artists of popular black culture, adopts a style is common in magazines like Heat, OK and Star, they seem to talk a lot about the gossip involved in the music industry and less on the actual music being produced by the artists. It is written in a very laid back and light-hearted way but at times the writing style and its content can come off as trashy. This magazine is obviously not aimed at anyone above 17 and due to it focus on gossip, I can imagine a lot of male readers not being particularly interested in Black Beat.
Q takes a much more serious approach when writing its articles and reviews. The magazine is aimed at 20-40 year olds as it uses mature language and intelligent word choice and syntax. However at times when reading Q I felt I couldn’t relax, and I think that a lot of readers could feel un-settled while reading Q due to it highly intellectual method of approach.
For ‘Sample’ I hope to combine Q’s style of writing with NME’s. A mature and intellectual style so that readers feel I am taking them and the music seriously, but I also want to created a relaxed environment where readers can feel at ease, almost as if they’re just hanging out with friends, as my magazine is very focused on sociality and community.

0 comments: